Tuesday, 11 August 2015

Some Books I've Been Falling in Love With

Hello, lovely blogettes. It was great to see some of you at the Port Eliot Festival in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago. I was chatting about The Bookshop Book with Andy Miller - author of The Year Of Reading Dangerously - and the setting for the festival was beautiful. I made a video about it here, if you'd like to take a look.

I have been falling in love with a lot of books recently, namely The Evolutionary Revolution by Lily Hoang, a rather bizarre novella combining a mixture of fairy tales and politics; The Faster I Walk The Smaller I Am, a beautiful Norwegian novella about a woman who is worried she's losing her sense of self; and The Dumb House by John Burnside - possibly my favourite read of the year - which was reissued by Vintage this week and is a very disturbing novel about the origin of language. I'd recommend it for fans of Lolita and Perfume. If you want to hear more about the books I've been reading, head over here.

I've got a bit of an exciting announcement to make later this week (and no, it's not a new book deal and, no, I'm not pregnant. Which seem to be most people's guesses so far!) x


  1. Oh, now I am curious! Wedding bells perhaps?

    1. ...No, ha. I don't think I'd announce that in quite such a drawn out way ;) x

  2. Jen, do you fancy writing some song lyrics for me? Every now and again I ask a (proper) writer to help with my songs: it's great to see what new direction we go off in! john(at)johnmedd(dot)com

  3. My guess - you're opening your own bookshop! If I'm right, can I come work for you?

  4. You've discovered unicorns in your backyard?