Friday, 30 January 2015

The Railway Children at King's Cross Theatre


Last week I was lucky enough to be taken to see The Railway Children at the King's Cross Theatre by Google, along with other lovely Booktubers (Leena, Sanne, Sarah, Pip, Lizzy and Livs). The Railway Children is such an iconic children's classic and we were all very excited about going to see it. Truth be told, we were pretty much fangirling all over the place.



King's Cross Theatre is in between King's Cross and St. Pancras, and the foyer has been made to look as if it were a train station. They have background noise of steam trains, and when they call you to your seats they announce it as though a train were coming. In fact the stage is rail track, with rows of seating either side labelled 'Platform One' and 'Platform Two,' so they've done an amazing job of making sure the audience are completely immersed in the play before it even starts.

The play itself is wonderful, with a real steam train used twice during the production - once when the children have to stop the train from crashing and again at the end... you know, the tear-jerking scene that I won't mention in case you've never read the book. Needless to say we all cried buckets. We got to meet the case beforehand, and explored the carriages of the steam train after the show, too - reciting lines from Harry Potter, naturally. It was wonderful.

The play's running until September, so if you happen to be in London I really recommend grabbing a ticket. (Make sure you take tissues!) xx

6 comments:

  1. looks wonderful! and original, too. I have never heard of the book, now I have to look for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm not a big fan of the Railway Children, I was always thought it was too twee compared to 5 Children and It, but they went to some incredible effort with the stage! And having actual carriages you can go inside on the train is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only got to go in them because we were given a tour with Google afterwards - they don't let the audience do it after each show. :)

      Delete
  3. This looks absolutely amazing! How inventive they've been. I always thought theatre-in-the-round productions made the audience feel part of the action, but this surpasses even that, with its tracks and steam trains and audience platforms. I didn't think the tear-jerking scene-that-shall-not-be-mentioned could ever be bettered, but this production looks as if it could just about manage it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems amazing! What a shame that I'll be in London just on January 2016 :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Small problem: I noticed a fragile mesh I already timberland outlet uk drilled on the forefoot, while I have done a little more than 200 kilometers. This is the first time timberland outlet sale I run with Brooks. So I'm going into the unknown especially since I know few people who use this brand. At the opening of the box, cheap timberland boots I'm a little surprised by the shape of the shoe.

    ReplyDelete