Saturday, 25 October 2014

Round up: 'The Bookshop Book' on Tour Week 2


Hello bookish friends! I write this still on my travels. What could be better than talking about bookshops in bookshops, surrounded by books and people who love them? Here's a summary of week two!

The second week of 'The Bookshop Book' book tour saw the launch of this year's Books Are My Bag campaign - celebrating bookshops all around the UK.


And to celebrate Books Are My Bag, on the 11th October I did twelve book signings all across London. It was lovely, if slightly mad, and it was a journey fuelled by much tea and an unhealthy amount of cake. Booksellers know their tea and cake. Oh yes, they do.







From there, I did an event at West End Land Books, and someone brought along their Russian edition of 'Weird Things....', which was pretty cool!


From there to the BBC studios, where I had a chat about The Bookshop Book on the radio. 



Aaand from there to Norwich, where I signed stock at Jarrold Books (the department store was empty, but the security guard let me in and the booksellers had left out some cake and a note saying 'Feel free to have a snoop around!' An empty bookshop at night? With cake? Excellent!)


Then round the corner to Waterstones, where I did an event and the lovely booksellers there had made cupcakes with edible books on them, and a bouquet made out of book pages. Booksellers are awesome: fact. 



Thursday's event was in Oxford, where we had a panel discussing whether bookshops would still be around in one hundred years. We all declared that yes, they would. So, thank goodness for that. 


The last event of the week was in Chorley, Lancashire at Ebb and Flo. There was even more cake (this time with my book on it); I finally got to meet the excellent Carys Bray in person; and afterwards my friend Jo and I went to the cutest tearoom you've ever seen where, if you so wished, you could get candyfloss in your hot chocolate. 



Phewf! I hopped back on a train to London, with The Love Song of Queenie Hennessy by my side (it's excellent, even though it did make me cry in public several times. That Rachel Joyce is good!). I collapsed in a heap, and then got up and did it all over again. (I'll tell you about week three soon!)

The Bookshop Book has been featured over in The Guardian, Stylist and Curious Animal, if you've yet to buy a copy and you'd like to see what it's all about, then you can click on those links :) 

Over the next few weeks I'm doing events in Coventry, Sussex, Suffolk, Ross-on-Wye, Paris, Hull, Devon, Merseyside & Richmond. Come along to one of them, if you can - I'll be chatting about weird and wonderful bookshops around the world http://www.jen-campbell.co.uk/events.html. Thanks so much to those of you who have come along to events so far, it's been so lovely meeting you! xx


2 comments:

  1. One of these days I want you to prowl down here. I will make more unhealthy cake and much tea for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like you're crazy busy, hope you're enjoying every minute of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete