Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Book tour, radio and crazy times

 Folks! Apologies for the radio silence over on the blog - I have begun book tour and things are slightly mad (in an excellent way!).

Let me tell you what's been happening!

The Bookshop Book came out last Thursday. I know it's not my first book, but I still can't get over the fact that something I wrote is being read by other people... it's an odd experience.

The launch was at the London Review Bookshop - there were lots of books and a lot of wine, and I made a slightly overwhelmed-type speech. It was lovely. (The evening, that is - goodness knows what I actually said in my speech. I think there were words.)



On Friday I was at the BBC studios to chat on BBC Radio Scotland. You can catch up on that over here - I'm at 1hr 19. And from there, I hopped on a train and went up to Scotland. I was thrilled to be at the Wigtown Book Festival this year - especially as Wigtown is the first place I write about in The Bookshop Book, so it seemed rather apt! Wigtown is Scotland's National Book Town with twelve bookshops in a very small area next to the salt marshes on the west coast. I arrived, stumbled across a massive 'More Weird Things...' and had dinner in a bookshop. As you do. As always, whenever I visit, I didn't want to leave. 



On Sunday I had my event, which was chaired by the lovely Jessica Fox, author of Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets. We basically gossiped about the book trade with people watching, and it was lovely. Jessica is Shaun Bythell's partner (if you've read The Bookshop Book, you know who I'm talking about!) - Shaun runs The Bookshop - the largest bookshop in Wigtown and, indeed, the largest secondhand bookshop in Scotland. He and Jessica share a rather excellent bookshop romance - think 84, Charing Cross Road but with emails instead of letters and fewer powdered eggs. Shaun never fails to make me giggle (you might want to check out his Facebook page, which is a bit like Black Books... but real), and it was lovely to be back. 


From Wigtown, I went back over the border and signed books at Waterstones in Newcastle, and did an event at Book Corner in Saltburn. Tomorrow is the lauch of the Books Are My Bag campaign at Foyles, and on Saturday it's the main Books Are My Bag day, with bookshops throwing parties all over the country. To help celebrate, I'm doing a mad bookshop dash all across London, signing copies of The Bookshop Book at as many places as I can get to (I'll post the itinerary tomorrow, and you can follow my progress on Twitter, too). 

As The Bookshop Book is the official book of this year's Books Are My Bag campaign, you can spy it in some Booktuber 'Unboxing' videos, such as Sanne's and Carrie's :), and there was a lovely mention in The Independent, as well. 


I've still got twenty events lined up for The Bookshop Book, and all details are over here. If you're nearby one, it would be lovely to see you! If you've bought The Bookshop Book then THANK YOU, I hope that you're enjoying it! If you've yet to buy a copy, you can find one at your local bookshop if you're in the UK and Ireland (copies are making their way down to Aus, NZ right now - and are in English bookshops around the world, too. Re. North America - watch this space :) news on that very soon). 

Alternatively, if you'd like to buy a signed copy of the book, you can grab one of those over here. I'm posting copies worldwide (and all pre-orders have been shipped :) ). 

Thanks so much for all of your support, everyone! You are wonderful. 

Lots of love, 

Jen xx

3 comments:

  1. While we all did miss you, we knew where you were! And we were all cheering for you. Well done our wee miss! Another book and more ideas for the horizons. What will unfold next. With your talent, humour and strength it will bound to be terrific.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with the Book Tour my copy has arrived safe and sound and is being enjoyed as I type - congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're having an awesome, if hectic time. You've earned it and the book is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete