Tuesday, 9 September 2014

Bookshop a Day 7: The Book Table, Illionois

On the run up to release of  The Bookshop Book on the 2nd October, I'm going to be blogging about a bookshop every day to celebrate wonderful bookshops and booksellers all around the world. (#bookshopaday)Today I want to tell you about:

The Book Table, Illinois, Chicago

I had a chat with book-lover Christy Childers about her favourite bookshop:

So, Christy: where can we your favourite bookshop?

The Book Table is in Oak Park, Illinois (Chicago).Describe it in three words. 

Fiercely independent bookshop.

What’s going to catch our eye as soon as we walk through the door?

Books! Piles of books. And also: friendly booksellers.

What’s the best event they've ever done there?

Alexander McCall Smith

What's the best book you've bought from there?

A Little History of Literature by John Sutherland. One of the things I love about shopping in actual bookstores is the chance to stumble upon a good book that I haven’t heard about anywhere else. I found A Little History of Literature at The Book Table a few days after it came out; I took it home & polished it off in a day or two. I might not have found it if I hadn’t been browsing at a real live book shop.

Recommend a book you’ve been loving recently. 

I recently read and loved Love, Nina by Nina Stibbe (Witty! Eccentric! Literary London in the eighties!), & I’m looking forward to her next book Man at the Helm.

Why do you love bookshops?

I love wandering around with all those stories at my finger tips, and the serendipity of  browsing & seeing what catches my eye.

If you could open a bookshop anywhere in the world, where would you open it and why?

Ooh, maybe Italy. Or England. Or Ireland! ...Actually, I think opening a bookshop just about anywhere would be great fun.

Sum up what books and bookshops mean to you in one sentence.

No matter what’s going on in my life, a few hours with a good book or wandering around a good bookstore always makes everything just a little bit better.

Details of The Bookshop Book are here. You can pre-order signed copies (shipping worldwide) here

No comments:

Post a Comment