Saturday, 27 September 2014

Bookshop A Day #22: The Big Comfy Bookshop, Coventry

On the run up to the release of The Bookshop Book on the 2nd October, I'm going to be blogging about a bookshop every day to celebrate wonderful bookshops and booksellers all around the world. (#bookshopaday).

Today's blog post is rather special because it's dedicated to The Big Comfy Bookshop - a bookshop in Coventry that's opening TODAY. I'm very excited for Michael, who has worked his socks off to get the shop up and running - there was crowdfunding involved, which I blogged about a few months ago. I'll also be doing an event with them on the 29th October. More details over here. 

So, yes, they opened their doors today and are now a real-life actual bookshop. Hurrah!

The Big Comfy Bookshop, Coventry

Michael! Where can we find you?

You can find me in Coventry, UK, in the new creative quarter Fargo Village. It's made out of the bones where the very first bicycles were made in the world!

Describe your bookshop in three words.

Cosy, eclectic, homely

What’s going to catch our eye as soon as we walk through the door?

Well (hopefully!) if you look up straight away, there's a huge HUGE quote spanning the width of the shop! Plus, it's all very Red.

What’s the best event you’ve ever done

As it's open NOW I don't have one that I've done, however, a certain Jen Campbell will be here October 29th that I'm extremely excited about!

And your best customer moment?

Whilst doing book stalls and craft fairs a young girl came screaming up to me and took no less than a dozen books in her arms then ran off! Her mum came over and bought each one!

Recommend a book you’ve been loving recently.

I visited The Book Barge and picked up Sarah Henshaw's The Bookshop That Floated Away on launch day! It's the best book I've read this year.

Why did you become a bookseller?

I came to books rather late, my early 20s, and since then loved bookshops but where I live there wasn’t one really on my doorstep, so I opened one myself.

Why are you still a bookseller?

Because my wife has just had a baby (due end of August!) and need to support my family! Plus, what I love most is mingling with new people daily and discussing the world.

If you could open a bookshop anywhere else in the world, where would you open it and why?

It'd have to be New York. The hustle and bustle and the complete insane people that would walk through the door would be amazing.

Sum up what books and bookshops mean to you in one sentence.

A second home.


Details of The Bookshop Book are 
here. You can pre-order signed copies (shipping worldwide) here.


  1. It's a win for every bookish person when a new bookshop opens, so cheers!

    1. A bit late, but thanks! It's going great!