Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Bookshop A Day #2 The Bargain Book Hut, India

On the run up to release of  The Bookshop Book on the 2nd October, I'm going to be blogging about a bookshop every day to celebrate wonderful bookshops and booksellers all around the world. (#bookshopaday) (These aren't extracts from the book - consider them bonus material!)

Today I'd like to introduce you to Trishana Sha, who runs:

 The Bargain Book Hut, at Kala Ghoda in Mumbai, India

I had a chat with her about her bookshop, and why she loves what she does.

So, Trishana - where can we find you?

You can find us in a little tiny by-lane in Mumbai’s art district called Kala Ghoda. There are art galleries, little coffee shops, the museum as well as some other bookshops in this area. 

Describe your bookshop in three words. 

Quaint, inviting, alive

What’s going to catch our eye as soon as we walk through the door?

The vibe and energy of the place! We have observed customers exclaim in delight over how quaint the shop is and so dreamy. Like straight out of a movie. It’s the feel of the place, the music and our display. We pay minute attention to how the bookshop looks, I’m sure you know what I mean. 

What has been your best customer moment?

There is an elderly lady who is a regular at the bookshop - she always bought cookbooks and you could see her face light up when she was browsing through. So this one time, we ordered in coffee (which she insisted on paying for), while she told us how she doesn’t actually cook but loves collecting cook books. It is amazing how passionate people can be.

Recommend a book you’ve been loving recently. 

Wide Sea Sargasso by Jean Rhys

Why did you become a bookseller?

It just happened to me. It wasn’t a conscious decision, an offer came by and I accepted. From then on it feels as right as breathing. 

Why are you still a bookseller?

Because I believe in what I do. I wake up every morning looking forward to the bookshop, I miss it when I’m not here. It’s a part of who I am. 

If you could open a bookshop anywhere else in the world, where would you open it and why?

France, I think. I was reading an article recently about the reading culture there and the laws that reinforce this habit. I was really taken by it. 

Sum up what books and bookshops mean to you in one sentence. 

Bookshops are the soul of a city and the books it holds are the city's many virtues and vices. 


Details of The Bookshop Book are here. You can pre-order signed copies (shipping worldwide) here


  1. Bookshops are the soul of a city? Wonderful!

  2. That's interesting. I think I'm going to be in Mumbai in December. I probably won't have a chance to go to this bookshop, but if I did, how could I find it? ~Miriam

    1. Saibaba Rd, Kala Ghoda, Fort, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001, India

  3. I love her responses--makes me wish I had the money to visit shops around the world, starting with hers!