Friday, 21 March 2014

first loves, real mermaids, and Chinese paper lanterns

Happy World Poetry Day, folks!

Did you know that, in Shakespeare's day, it was common practice to dig up dead bodies and burn them, to make room for the newly dead? Cheerful, eh? Shakespeare wasn't a fan of this, so he wrote a 'curse poem' to go on his grave, to stop anyone digging him up:

Good friend for Jesus sake forbear,
To dig the dust enclosed here.
Blessed be the man that spares these stones,
And cursed be he that moves my bones.


So, to celebrate World Poetry Day, I've made a little video of me reading my poem 'Kitchen.'
(NB: As far as I'm aware, this poem isn't cursed.)

(If you're viewing this in an email, you might have to click here to view the video.)

I am also offering free worldwide postage on my poetry collection 'The Hungry Ghost Festival' for the rest of the month. (It's published by The Rialto, and it's about first love, real mermaids, and Chinese paper lanterns .) It's £5.50. To grab a copy, just hit the button below.

Lots of love


1 comment:

  1. As always, beautiful~unique~flowing. And when I listen and watch you recite your poems, they become more alive. But then who better to recite them...
    Rochester NY