Monday, 11 November 2013

The Bookshop Book - Your Stories


Writing 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' has been a lot of fun; an affectionate look at the more bizarre side of bookselling. Now, I'm writing a new non-fiction title: The Bookshop Book, which will be published by Constable & Robinson this time next year. It's going to be a history of books and bookselling, a look at interesting bookshops of the world, and interviews with authors, booksellers and customers about what bookshops mean to them. There's so much research to do, and I'm rather enjoying myself.

NOW- we've all got stories to tell, and that's where I would love to hear from you guys. I want to know why you love bookshops; which bookshops you'd like to sing the praises of; if you've got a memory you want to share, whether it be happy, sad or amusing. You could even tell me about your ideal bookshop; if you could open one, where would it be? What would you stock? Anything you like! If you'd like to get in touch with me, you can drop me an email at jenvcampbell@gmail.com. I'd love to chat to as many people as possible, from across the globe, and include some of your stories in the book itself - with your permission, of course. So, if you'd like to drop me a message, that would be wonderful.

In the same vein: I'm currently researching and getting in touch with bookshops - if you're a bookseller and you'd like to get in touch to tell me a story, then please get in touch with me, too!

x

6 comments:

  1. Are you looking for stories about UK bookshops only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! This book is about bookshops all over the world - so stories from anywhere :)

      Delete
    2. Great! Writing up an email now :)

      Delete
  2. What a great idea for a book. One of my favourite bookshops is a second hand place called Reading Lasses in Wigtown, Dumfries and Galloway. Not only does it stock an amazing number of interesting titles but it has an excellent cafe and lovely staff. One of my pet hates when it comes to bookshops is when they have piped music, because I can't read and listen at the same time (Waterstone's drives me mad for this reason). If I had a bookshop - something I fantasise about now and then - I'd like it to be quiet, comfortable and full of curious old tomes. I like the photo at the top of this page with your bookshop, it looks like my kind of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know ReadingLasses - I did an event there earlier this year. Wonderful bookshop. x

      Delete
  3. The Armadillo's Pillow, in Chicago, IL USA.
    It's such the quintessential bookstore. Since they moved into the shop years ago, when I was in high school, my father and I often take walks on the shore of Lake Michigan (a block away) and stop in the book shop on the way home. They've always sold incense along with their normal fare of books and recently started selling locally roasted coffee as well, so I associate a particularly comfortable and happy smell with the store. That combined with the winding bookshelves in the back section and two armchairs off to the side make it my dream shop.

    ReplyDelete