Monday, 5 August 2013

writing my novel in a cottage by the sea

Good evening, lovely folk! I am back from a week of writing in Cornwall. I spent it completely on my own, in a cottage next to the sea, and worked hard on my novel. It was great to leave bookshop-work behind and be able to focus completely on my writing. I left with plenty of words and many more ideas, and it was a rather successful week. I have to say, I miss the view from my desk.

(For those interested, I stayed at Brisons Veor, just out of St. Just. If you're an artist/writer and you'd like to apply for a residency, their website is over here.)

So, yes, that was fantastic. Then I arrived home last night to copies of the Dutch edition of 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops', which came out last week! If you're in The Netherlands, go hunt it down in a bookshop:  'Gekke dingen die klanten in boekhandels zeggen' is published by Bbnc Uitgevers and retails at €9.95. :)



Hope you're all well! x

9 comments:

  1. Oh - I'd have to turn my back on the view to get any work done! Glad the week went well though - was wondering how you were getting on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely getaway. St. Ives was one of the first places I ever went on holiday and I'd love to go back again some day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to St. Ives for the day when I was down in Cornwall - it was the one place I went to as I used to go on holiday there, too. It was lovely to go back but I'd forgotten just how many people are there during the summer! It was busier than Leicester Square in the evening. Perhaps not the best way to introduce myself to people again after a week of solitude, ha. Though I did make friends with The Harbour Bookshop there, which was nice.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jen,

    Ever wondered whether chocolate could help you sell more books? Check this out:

    http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/aug/01/smell-chocolate-boosts-sales-romantic-books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Uborka,

      Stumbled across that the other day, and posted it on the 'Weird Things...' Facebook page :) I just like the smell of books myself, but it's an interesting concept!

      x

      Delete
  4. Hi Jen,

    How about another week-long retreat on a private Scottish island and a delicious-smelling first-edition precious book? You could win these...

    http://www.harpersbazaar.co.uk/latest-news/short-story-competition

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought you'd be interested that it's not only customers who are guilty of saying weird things. Nor is it just a contemporary phenomenon. Witness this from Anthony Powell's autobiography, To Keep The Ball Rolling: The Memoirs of Anthony Powell, Penguin, 1982, p43:

    [The scene takes place in The Varda Bookshop, briefly in life during the twenties at the junction of High Holborn and Shaftesbury Avenue.]

    One afternoon,[...] a customer asked if they had Shelley's Prometheus Unbound. The works of the Romantic School were then not much in fashion, and the proxy replied: 'No, but I'm sure I've seen a bound copy on the shelves.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your book in a library in Belgium. But I couldn't take it home because it wasn't the library in my town.

    So not only in The Netherlands, but also available in Belgium.

    And now... time for me to order it online!

    ReplyDelete