Monday, 22 April 2013

More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops - out now!

'More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' is now officially out! Hurray! The launch was last Thursday at Daunt Books on Marylebone High Street. I did a little dance on the pavement when I saw their window display.

I still find it bizarre when I see copies of 'Weird Things...' out in the wild, wondering if I accidentally put them there by mistake.

It was a really lovely evening, and I meant to take lots of photos to show you guys, but I spent most of the evening running around like a headless chicken trying to talk to everyone... and I completely failed on the photo front. Sorry! Close your eyes and imagine lots of books (and quite a lot of wine), and you're there.

The 'More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' book tour is now underway! I was at Waterstones in Southampton on Saturday and met lots of lovely people, and quite a few Twitter folk came along which was very lovely indeed. Today an extract of 'More Weird Things...' is over at We Love This Book; there was a mention of it in The Independent, and Scott Pack blogged about the book, too.

This week I'm heading up to Scotland. I'll be at Blackwell's in Edinburgh, South Bridge, this Wednesday (24th) for a free event at 6:30, where I'll be talking about 'More Weird Things...' and signing books. From there I head to Wigtown, for a free event at ReadingLasses at 6:30pm this Thursday (25th), which is followed by a dinner for those who want to stay on. Ticket details for the latter are over here.  (& details of more events after those are over here.)

I'd really love to meet more of you along the book tour. Doing 'More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' events/signings are fun for four reasons:
1. I get to meet lovely readers and chat to them.
2. I get to visit lovely bookshops (and buy too many new books myself. I'll never learn to behave).
3. I get to subtly educate people about ectrodactyly - as it's pretty much unavoidable when I'm signing books. This is both awkward and amusing.
4. Some customers look completely baffled/concerned when they see me standing in a bookshop with copies of books called 'Weird Things...' / 'More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops.' I suppose it is pretty meta, and this always makes me giggle.

I hope you all have a wonderful week, and that if you've bought a copy of 'More Weird Things...' it's making you giggle :). Lots of love. xx


  1. Hi Jen - saw you full page in the Daily Mail at work and photocopied it for all the library assistants! Great stuff! Hoping to make it to your Liverpool event in May. Did I send you my 'Trollope' conversation overheard in the library? - I forget now.

  2. My copy is, apparently, on the way...just wish those mail-snails would move a little faster!

  3. They have copies on the front desk in my local Waterstones! Makes me smile and think of you every time.