Monday, 25 March 2013

let me explain why bookshops are wonderful

Last week, I was asked to attend City University and talk about the world of bookselling, along with Tim Godfray (CEO of The Booksellers Association), Frances Tay (co-founder of Woolfson and Tay) and Miriam Robinson (head of Marketing at Foyles).

We were each asked to give a fifteen minute speech about our experience within the industry, how it's changing and our hopes for the future. It was a really wonderful evening, with lots of hopes and thoughts on change and adaptation. I've recorded my speech separately, so you can have a listen to it. I hope you like it. Bookshops are worth fighting for.

Why Bookshops Are Worth It
(in which I talk about living statues, 'Weird Things...', Paris, and the souls of books)


1 comment:

  1. So nice to hear your voice. Very eloquent speech. 'Bookshop tetris' - heheh. Oooooh that bit about the woman who bought her very own book back - teared up. Love the bit about what you can do to help people that only have a very short description - usually it turns out to be purple with polka dots. :-) OMG the bit about the barcode. Waterstone owns all the bookshops. Oh dear. What a lovely listen this was. Took me a little while to find a lovely quiet moment with a cup of tea. Thank you for this.