Saturday, 19 January 2013

“I know I'm an acquired taste - I'm anchovies. And not everybody wants those hairy little things.” ― Tori Amos


(A blog post for the weekend, folks. I'm about to head out for the day in the snow - going out somewhere secret for my birthday. No idea where... well, er, obviously, as it's a surprise. Anyway. Yes. I will report back later. Happy weekend! x)

Quite a few people have been asking me what kind of music I like listening to. When I write, I tend not to listen to music (though I sometimes listen to classical music/piano solos - Dustin O'Hallaran etc), but when I'm out and about I've always got earphones in, and I've no doubt that this music inspires my writing. So, here are some of my favourites. 

(You'll notice that I have a thing for women and pianos.)

Imogen Heap owns my soul. If you ever get the chance to see her in concert, do. She is pretty much queen of everything.



Two years ago I wrote a short story that was released in a limited edition Paper Aeroplanes CD. Their music is beautiful.



Pretty much everything Tori Amos, but especially the live recording: 'Welcome to Sunny Florida.'



One Eskimo



the wonderful Charlotte Martin




Of Monsters and Men



Grimes



Boy



the beautiful Florence





(& there should be more Amanda Palmers in the world.) 


There you go. Happy weekend! x

4 comments:

  1. You have the best taste. As most of these are on my regular playlists - Amanda Palmer nearly every day, Tori Amos and Imogen Heap on the others - I am going to have to listen to Charlotte Martin and Boy now.
    The Killing Type is absolutely my favourite song at the moment. I have listened to it over and over. Just a perfect song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'On Your Shore' and 'Veins' are my favourite albums of hers. Her song 'Galaxies' from Orphans, and also her album 'Reproductions'... oh so many! I hope you like her. x

      Delete
    2. Heh. I've made a YouTube list I'm working my way through. So far I like Volcano and Galaxies.
      In turn, I'm assuming you have already heard of Tegan & Sara, but do you like Eisley? I love the ethereal quality to their songs. Particularly the album Combinations and the songs Combinations, Invasion and Telescope Eyes.

      Delete
    3. I do know Tegan and Sara, but not Eisley. I will run and have a listen! x

      Delete