Wednesday, 27 June 2012

“I love walking into a bookstore. It's like all my friends are sitting on shelves, waving their pages at me.”

Independent Booksellers' Week begins on Saturday: a celebration and show of support for our wonderful independent booksellers, and bookshops, and all that they are doing for the book trade. Please, if you can, take some time out to visit your local bookshop and support them. If in my area [North London], I particularly recommend England's Lane Books, who hosted the 'Weird Things...' book launch and who have a fantastic collection of books. Very sadly, they are closing, but they'll be around until the end of July, so you should definitely check them out.

So. For Independent Booksellers' Week, I'm teaming up with bookshops to chat to people about 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops,' talk about the book trade and also read from my poetry collection 'The Hungry Ghost Festival' [which will be out in a couple of weeks!].

I really hope that some of you can make one of these. It would be great to see you there. I'm really looking forward to it. All hail independent bookshops!

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops Events

Saturday 30th June 2012
Simply Books, Burnby Hall Gardens, Yorkshire. 1pm.

Recently, Simply Books in Pocklington moved to Burnby Hall Gardens. It's a beautiful location in Yorkshire. I'll be at Simply Books at 1pm on Saturday 30th. If you pre-order a copy of 'Weird Things...' from them, then you get free entry to the gardens on the day.


Wednesday 4th July 2012. 
Jardine Cafe & Bistro / Wivenhoe Books, Wivenhoe: Bookmatch 7pm. 

Think speed-dating, but with books. Instead of pitching yourself to other people, you are pitching your favourite book in a bookswap with a difference. 

I'll be talking about 'Weird Things...' at the event and signing books. 

Tickets are £12.95 and include food and a glass of wine. Details here


Thursday 5th July 2012

The Forest Bookshop, Coleford. [Coleford Festival of Words]: Gloucestershire. 2:30pm. 

Free event: talk and signing.


Friday 6th July 2012

Kenilworth Books [near Warwick], 6:45pm. 

Free event [with nibbles and wine]: talk and signing.


Saturday 7th July 2012

Blackwell's, Oxford: Alice's day.

I'll be helping out at Alice's day. All day at Blackwell's, authors are taking it in turns to read out Alice in Wonderland so that it's constantly being read in the bookshop. I'll be reading at 2pm and 4:30pm, when I'll also be around to sign copies of 'Weird Things...'. Make sure you check out the rest of the events for Alice Day: it's going to be lots of fun!

[Later on in the year I'll be doing events in Norwich, Wigtown, Fulham and Highgate, plus more to come. Keep checking back for updates. As usual, if you're far away and would like a signed copy of 'Weird Things...' then just drop me an email. x]

No comments:

Post a Comment