"When we read, we start at the beginning and continue until we reach the end. When we write, we start in the middle and fight our way out." - Vickie Karp
Wednesday, 9 May 2012
a list of things in the middle of the night
1. Paper Aeroplanes's new single, Multiple Love, is rather pretty. Have a listen.
2. Over the next month you can find me at The Yellow-Lighted Book Festival [28th May], a signing at Waterstones in Wimbledon [Bank holiday Monday, 4th June, 1pm] and a reading and signing at Waterstones in King's Lynn [Saturday 9th June, 11am]. I'm also going to be at the Belfast Book Festival in June; I'll let you know details of that nearer the time.
4. I was very sad to hear that Maurice Sendak passed away yesterday. He was rather wonderful.
“Once a little boy sent me a charming card with a little drawing on it. I loved it. I answer all my children’s letters — sometimes very hastily — but this one I lingered over. I sent him a card and I drew a picture of a Wild Thing on it. I wrote, “Dear Jim: I loved your card.” Then I got a letter back from his mother and she said, “Jim loved your card so much he ate it.” That to me was one of the highest compliments I’ve ever received. He didn’t care that it was an original Maurice Sendak drawing or anything. He saw it, he loved it, he ate it.” - Maurice Sendak.
4. I'm chuffed to bits to have been nominated for The Forward Prize this year, for Best Single Poem, both by The Rialto and Shearsman. Hurray for poetry!
7. As for what I'm up to at the moment [bar bookselling and 'Weird Things...', and poetry stuff, obviously], I am... writing a novel. EEK. It's in its very early stages, but I feel like I'm really getting to grips with the world I'm building, and getting to know my characters well. I had the idea for it back in November 2010, so it's been brewing in my head for quite a while. I am scared at the vast amount of work to be done but excited, too. & now that I've told you all I'm writing it, I'll have to keep going ;). So, if you see me hanging around on Twitter for long periods of time, feel free to tell me to bugger off and get on with it. Excellent.
8. “Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning. ”
writer and bookseller living in London. I'm the author of the 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' series - the sequel 'More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' is out now. I'm also a published poet and short story writer. My poetry pamphlet 'The Hungry Ghost Festival' is published by The Rialto, and I'm currently writing my first novel. I'm represented by Charlie Campbell at Ed Victor Literary Agency.