Saturday, 7 April 2012

'Weird Things...' Book Launch

Thursday night was the night of 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' book launch, at England's Lane Books. I spent most of the evening running round like a loon [which, I think, is generally what happens when you're the host], so the evening went by in a bit of a blur. However, it was a very pleasant blur filled with champagne and cupcakes, which are Very Nice Things.

Here are a few photos.

Greg [illustrator extraordinaire] on the left standing with Hugh [wonderful editor].

Hugh's lovely daughter with 'Weird Things...'

And here she is doing Greg out of a job [that's a pretty awesome illustration right there!]

The other half of the lovely Brothers McLeod [Myles], on the right, with my fabulous agent, Charlie.

a few more...

signing books [though not the big one, as that's not mine!]

& me and Greg. Lovely, lovely.

There are a few more pictures over here.

Yesterday I was bookselling with quite a bit of a hangover. However, I was very entertained by two customers who reenacted scenes from 'Weird Things...' in the middle of the bookshop... in French. Kudos.

Today 'Weird Things...' has a very nice mention in The Guardian, and the FT. I'm also over at Caroline Smailes's blog talking about the writing of the book, with the chance to win a copy, too!

At the moment I'm on a train en route to Newcastle [where I grew up], and from there to Edinburgh. If you're in Edinburgh then I'm going to be talking about 'Weird Things...' and signing books at The Edinburgh Bookshop on Tuesday 5:30-6:30pm. It would be lovely to see you there! x


  1. Congratulations (I keep saying that, don't I?) Jen, on another WTCSIB milestone! What a lovely launch - I wish I wasn't so far away, so I could have joined in the cupcakey goodness! Though to be fair, if I'd been bookselling with a hangover yesterday there would have been two rather destructive small boys who wouldn't have made it to their next birthdays, so perhaps it was a good thing... :)

  2. Congratulations on the book launch. I read the book the day it arrived on my Kindle and loved it. I also plan to get signed copies at the forthcoming bookswap -- looking forward to meeting you then.

  3. The pictures are wonderful! Glad it all went well. Best of luck for the remaining signings.

  4. Nice photos! Congrats and thanks for sharing the joy. Looks like it was great fun.

  5. Great pics. It looks like a lovely event. Congrats!! ANd good luck with all the promo stuff.

  6. Looks like a lovely launch, Jen! Congrats again :)