Sunday, 11 December 2011

poetry on the underground

I've always been a fan of Poems on the Underground, a project set up in 1986, displaying poems in over 3000 advertising spaces on London tubes. It makes me smile when I see one of these whilst commuting [oh, the dreaded rush hour!].



There's a new project that's happening early next year in the same vein. It's called Words in Motion, and moving advertising screens on London's underground will be taken over by poetry. The project called for submissions of poetry of forty words or less, along with audio files of the poems at 20 seconds or less - poetry that would help cheer up commuters during one of the coldest months of the year.  The poems chosen by the judging panel are being animated into 20 second typographic films by leading motion artists. Those films will then be played on screens on the London underground from the 16th of January for two weeks. One of my poems has been picked, and is currently being animated. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished films of all of the poems. Hurray for poetry on the tube! I'm not sure which stations/lines they'll be showing but, when I know, I'll let you know.


100 Poem Challenge update: A big thank you to all who have bought a copy of the poetry collection so far. I've got the pamphlets from the printers, and they are now being posted as and when orders come in. Things with EEC International are really moving forward, and all money raised for medical research is very much needed. Next year the organisation is also going to work on creating an international database for all those with EEC, helping to further research. Following the 100 Poem Challenge, I heard from Cristina, who runs EEC International [based in Italy], and I have been appointed the Manager of EEC International for the UK, to help co-ordinate the register, help people with EEC Syndrome find the right doctors, help people connect with each other and give parents who have given birth to children with EEC information about the condition. This will be something I'll be doing in my spare time, and I'm very excited about getting involved and furthering the work of EEC Syndrome Awareness.


In other, completely different, news, our bookshop is looking all Christmassy. If you're looking for a pretty book for a Christmas gift then do stop by. If you're further afield but are hunting for a particular edition of an old book then drop us an email and we'll have a hunt for you. I wish we had this Christmas tree, sent to me by @ on Twitter. Best tree ever, no? x 

9 comments:

  1. That's brilliant that one of your poems was chosen, can't wait to see the end result.

    Well done for getting involved with EEC International. Sounds like a lot of work, but for an excellent cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on having your poem selected! Like you I have always loved the poems on the underground and I can't wait to spot Words in Motion.

    I also really love the book tree....how utterly fabulous is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the poem on the tube!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the underground poem and the EEC post. I know you'll continue to do great things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tree...love poetry in public places (we once had some on the free bus around the city) and the EEC fund raising was fantastic. I am so proud I know you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on having your poem chosen - I love reading poems on the tube, they're usually so much more interesting than the ads (though it can lead to some curious armpit peering at times....)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting your poem on the tube!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HURRAY AND ALSO HURRAH. So excited about this and so proud of you. Always so proud of you. <3

    ReplyDelete