Monday, 19 September 2011

a poem in a pile

I spied this over on Scott's blog which, in turn, was taken from Janet Reid's competition, in turn inspired by Tahereh Mafi. [Phewf!]

The idea: to write a poem using book titles. I've only just seen this, so missed the deadline, but I thought I'd have a go anyway. Here's mine.




GIRL, INTERRUPTED

WHAT I DID was teach
her HOW TO FALL.
LIKE topical
GETAWAY GIRL, stowed
on THE BOAT, north
to ANTARCTICA.

IN THE TENT there, the wind makes it
like THE WORLD AND OTHER PLACES:
a family of HOTEL WORLDS.

Some days she speaks out FOR THE MESSENGERS
for THE UNCONSOLED.

Here FOLKLORE is on her frozen tongue.

She has taught the snow to DANCE, DANCE, DANCE:
trains it to run and WALK THE BLUE FIELDS.


--
[If you have a go at this yourself, post them below, or post links to your own blog posts]

8 comments:

  1. Here's my rather elegiac attempt: http://oldenoughnovel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I submitted to Janet's contest -- and in turn, subbed to Tahereh's blog. I'm glad that you wrote one, even though the deadline's past. A fringe benefit of this contest was I discovered new books! ~Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i like this very much indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun fun!
    Here is my (slightly embarrassing) attempt: http://armchairofabookologist.blogspot.com/2011/09/poetry-from-pile-of-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen, your post has inspired this:

    http://artsydoesit.wordpress.com/2011/09/20/project-52-11-26-a-poem-in-a-pile/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic. I may have to have a go at this, even if the deadline has passed. What a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so interesting. I have been following people and reading their 'book title' poems. I hope to try this with my books

    ReplyDelete