Tuesday, 13 September 2011

"Do you know what breakfast cereal is made of? It's made of all those little curly wooden shavings you find in pencil sharpeners!"

Today it's National Roald Dahl day [hurrah!], so I spent a happy half hour this morning arranging all of our Roald Dahl books in the window, including a first edition of 'The Magic Finger.'

I adored Roald Dahl's books when I was younger. I also had most them on audio tape, too. I had to fastforward the musical introduction to 'The Witches' because it freaked me out too much; I used to wish I was called Matilda; I kept an eye out for friendly giants walking the streets at night; and I loved the version of Ian Holmes reading 'Boy.' Magical stuff. Happy birthday, Roald!


-------------------------------

In other news:



Yesterday my editor sent me a preliminary sketch for the front cover of 'Weird Things.' It's looking pretty damn good. Obviously, I can't show it to you yet, so you're going to have to take my word for it. ;) Booksellers, you still have until the 30th September to send in your very own 'Weird things customer say...' - info on that is over here.

I've had some very lovely bookshop visits from blog/twitter people over the past week - from not only the lovely people of London [including John, who was running away from his fiancee for entering them for 'Don't Tell The Bride,' and who bought a load of Biggles books, Dickon, who came for nostalgia in with the Puffins, and Catherine who brought cookies], but also from further afield: two lovely blog readers from Georgia, USA, Mindy's husband over from Australia, and Mavis_Cruel from Northern Ireland, who made me blush to the extreme by bringing me a bunch of flowers. Thanks,guys!

I'm also considering hiring Mark Billingham as my PR person: he appears to be acting out some of my 'Weird Things' on his current book tour.

Re. other writing: I'm editing the second half of my short story collection 'The Aeroplane Girl', which is most fun, and I got the proof through for 'Fringe', a short story of mine that has been illustrated and is to be published in this year's edition of Short FICTION, out in November. 

So, for now, I will bid you all farewell. I'll be back soon with more illustration news etc, and some more author interviews, too [a list of the forthcoming ones are over on the left hand column. You've also still got time to win a copy of Andrew Kaufman's book, 'The Tiny Wife' by clicking here].

In the mean time, I leave you with this:



x

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for allowing me to live my life vicariously through you. I used to live in London and work in bookselling - these days I am living on the other side of the world, on working the dark side (PR). Look forward to the book; love your tweets. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Roald Dahl and I'm so glad you reminded me that's it's his "day."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too used to have all the Roald Dahl book on tape - the most memorable being revolting rhymes: “The small girl smiles, one eyelid flickers. She draws a pistol from her knickers. She aims it at the creature’s head, and BANG! BANG! BANG! She shoots him… dead.” Pure brilliance - as a kid I was captivated.

    Huge congratulations again on having Weird Things published - I will most definitely be ordering a copy and have a feeling I may be buying it for friends and family as a Christmas present! Best of luck with your short stories too Jen xx

    ReplyDelete