Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Happy Things

After yesterday's post on the London riots, I wanted to make a post about the things happening in London at the moment which make me happy.

Waterstone's in Ealing put this sign on their window: 'We are still open: if they come and steal books, they might actually learn something.' I love you, whoever wrote that sign. Please marry me.

Friday Project [Harper Collins] tweeted this: 'Any indie bookshops been hit by the riots? Drop us a line and we'll send you a box of free books.'

Here at Ripping Yarns bookshop, we're open again for business. So, stop by or, if you're far away, you can find us here too.

The Riot Clean Up is in full swing. People of London are pulling together to show that they outnumber the people who are looting, and rioting.

 The clean-up in Clapham (Pic: Twitter via @Lawcol888)

You can look at the Riot Clean Up website to see where to go if you want to help out.

On boarded up shops in Peckham which had been destroyed by looters, people came and decorated them to make it look like this:

source http://yfrog.com/z/klzzkwcj

and now, the board is so full of reasons why people love Peckham, it looks like this:

source http://yfrog.com/h6k01rsj

This is the real London. And we will win. x

13 comments:

  1. One word: inspiring. :)
    My thoughts and moral support go out to all these brave and wonderful people. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I love the positivity that's sprung up in reaction to the riots and I feel honored to be moving down there in September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish I was there! I'd love to be part of that cleanup and to feel and witness all the positivity flowing out of the destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see when people come together after something bad and show the good side. I wish I was there too to help out. Go you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for the broom army!!

    http://ninety2wo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. Hopefully everything will go back to normal soon. Or at least as normal as London can be at any one time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurrah for the wombles! Great to see everyone joining together like this. This is the real spirit of London.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very heart warming. Well done London! Broom! Broom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that sign in Waterstones, I saw a comment about it somewhere else and it made me laugh!

    http://oliviadollydaydream.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jen,
    Just dropped in to say I've given your blog an award. Please pop over to my blog to find out all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad it's not completely awful over there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these. Thank you for sharing them. It was a very difficult week for a lot of people last week and I'm sure it continues for many.

    I love that Harper Collins were going to replace books and I love the post-it note wall. Human spirit is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete