Monday, 11 July 2011

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops...THE BOOK.

I have been dancing around to this news, silently, for a while, but now I can tell you! Hurrah!

A month ago I got a visit at the bookshop from the lovely Hugh, who works for Constable and Robinson and who, incidentally, used to work for Ripping Yarns bookshop ten years ago. He said he really liked 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' and would like me to write a book length collection of them.

So, since then, Hugh and my agent Charlie have been chatting away and talking about clauses and percentages and all that jazz and now I can officially announce that a book-shaped, illustrated 'Weird Things' will be available to buy in bookshops in the near future. Hurray!

I have lots of lovely images in my head of people going in to bookshops to ask for a copy of Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops - it has a nice ironic ring to it, don't you think?

Dance with me!

[PS: Indie booksellers: I will be calling on you tomorrow, so do check back!]

ETA: I've created a facebook page for all book related updates as they come :)

ETA: View this blog post here to see how you can contribute to this book, if you're a bookseller

32 comments:

  1. I am excited :D Totally looking forward to having it in my bookshelf once it's out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh!!! Yay!! This is amazing news!!! Congratulations. And well done. I cant wait to buy it already. 'Weird things customers say in bookshops' always makes my day a little better. Although I do wonder about some people. Bit worrying really. But yay! Im excited for ya. :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurrah! Well done. Am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great, Jen - and well deserved too. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! SO excited for you, and can't wait to read the book-shaped book. There are really going to be illustrations? Is there going to be an illustrated you?xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I'm really excited about this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I can't wait to buy a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear this and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca - it will indeed be illustrated. An illustrated me? Blimey I didn't think of that. I'd love to see an illustration of a Beatrix Potter dinosaur book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is very exciting news!! I will be in line for a copy, for sur

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so exciting. I'm already looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! I have a question, though. Would I be able to acquire this, living in the USA? I definitely want this in my collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kris - We're signing for UK rights, but we definitely will be looking to sell foreign rights soon. The 'Weird Things' posts have been attracting a lot of attention from the other side of the pond, and I'd love to get it into bookshops there. Will definitely keep you posted x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I live far away (Brazil) and I'll want to buy this book, so please, give some love for international/internet sell

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so exciting!!!! I'll be rocking up at a bookshop to ask for a copy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Step step kick! Step step kick! Wave to the left. Wave to the right. Hop hop kick!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do hope the stars of this compilation also buy the book but wonder if they will recognise their cameos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I doubt that they would recognise themselves, actually. I don't know if this is good/bad. Though probably very good if I happen to be selling them the book in my bookshop at the time, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay congratulations!!!! Good news.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Huzzah! I will be purchasing this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats Jen! That's ace news.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations Jen! Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been giggling ever since I found your blog - and now the joy of a book. Well done - definitely time for dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Jen! I work with an online bookstore based in India, www.uread.com and we'd love to sell your book on our website when its ready! Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so great! Congrats! If you want to, you can quote me:
    Me: "I'm from Germany and stalk your blog regularly. Do I get a free book?"
    Because I'm so going to do that next time I come to London! XD

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey that's great news, congratulations! I love this feature, and am always relaying it to my hubby who asks what I'm snorting at :-) Having a little groove for you now!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such great news! Hooripity-yay!

    ReplyDelete