Friday, 12 November 2010

"I don't know the author... or the title... but it was green."

I don't know what it is about bookshops and weird happenings. I think they are magnets for ridiculous questions. There was that gem of a moment when a customer asked if Anne Frank had written a sequel to her dirary *facepalm* And the other week I was asked if we had any signed copies of William Shakespeare plays. I mean, REALLY? REALLY?

But this gem of a conversation just happened and, sadly, there was no one else in the shop at the time for me to look at them in a way that says 'Did you just hear that too?' And, no, before you say so, this man was not taking the piss.

"Do you have black and white film posters?"
"Yes, we do, over here."
"Do you have any posters of Adolf Hitler?"
"Pardon?"
"Adolf Hitler."
"Well, he wasn't a film star, was he."
"Yes, he was. He was American. Jewish, I think."

Some days, some days, there are just NO WORDS.

3 comments:

  1. ????? I believe you though because I have overheard - or even been asked - equally strange things in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen, liked your blog, amazing work!
    All the best
    Marinela x
    Short Poems

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend, during the era of Perestroika and Glasnost, said to a colleague, "Isn't it great what's happening in Russia?" The colleague replied, "What's Russia?"

    ReplyDelete